Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2013

There and back again...

There and back again - Rovaniemi  - an (un-)expected Journey

Yes you have read it correctly, I am back in town in Rovaniemi.
I will be staying in Rovaniemi until the end of May. As you may now, I am taking part in a scholarship of Biberach University of Applied Sciences, to do an international degree ( Bachelor International of Engineering ). It requires to study first abroad(that is the content of my blog so far) and then doing your practical internship abroad.

I applied for lots of companies here all over in Finland, but it is very difficult to find a job without the ability to speak finnish. So I tried to get a placement in the RAMK-University. To specify, I got a placement in the relating Renewable Energy Laboratory - RELab.

Thats also a reason why I am back in Rovaniemi :)

It was very early in the morning, but Mum+Papz drove me to the airport :)

Mum+Papz

My journey plan:

2.00: Departure in Lienzingen
4.30: Arrival in Frankfurt(Hahn)-Airport
6.30: Get into the plane - flying
11.00: Arrival in Tampere-Airport(Finland)
12.00: Train to Rovaniemi
19.59: Arrival in Rovaniemi(Train station)

I flew with Ryainair, cheap but that s all about it what I have to mention.
The train took me 8h of travel, but luckily with a power plug, so I could watch some series, worked a little bit and of course also sleeping.
I also had a nice talk with an mechanical engineering professor, who teaches in Oulu about studying abroad and the finnish mentality. I was quite surprised, because he was very talkative, which is not usual for a Finn.

As a placement student, the University provided me with a free taxi and luckage service, to pick me up to my new appartment in Kuntotie.

view from my new appartment

Micky was so kind and helped me to move into my new appartment :) [ Thanks Nacho for the couch and all that stuff, and also thanks to everybody else who gave me some things to start with :) ]

In Rovaniemi it is about -18 °C, the weather is snowy, white and a little bit cloudy. Everyday I got around 6-10 min more light, so nothin to complain about :)



And with the care package of my friends


and some good memories of the "Gedächtnis-Pitcher - Beam Cola" in the Irish Pub in Pforzheim

Stephan & David - Thanks for destroying me completely with alcohol :D
I think I can mangage the new situation quite well.

I also already met some of the students tutors,  good to see you guys again!

Yesterday, on Wednesday, I had a meeting with one of the International Head of the School of Technology Department at the University


...checking if I have sent all my documents(Yes I did that already in the end of November) and having a little bit small talk about the placement, I finally got an appointment on Friday in the morning, to meet the related professor and maybe then also start to work?

Let's see...
And I can offer you a lot of snow, so if somebody is interested in an exchange,  snow for light? I am in :)
But take a look for your self :)

So stay tuned and wait for the next update :)
I ll hope I can manage it to do my placement serious and not behave like a typical exchange student... :)

The new bridge of Rovaniemi

just a random scene in Rovaniemi - the cold rules life :)







1 Kommentar: